Our History: A Timeline
The Healing Powers of Nature Harnessed for the Health of Humankind
- 1914-24 Philosopher, scholar and educator Dr. Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925) introduces Anthroposophy, a spiritual science that comes to influence agriculture, education, the arts, medicine, architecture and economics.
- 1924 Dr. Steiner delivers a series of lectures on farming in Germany.
- Dr. Rudolf Hauschka (1891-1969) attends a lecture by Dr. Steiner and asks, "What is life?"
- Dr. Steiner replies, "Study rhythm. Rhythm carries life."
- Late 1920s-30s Farmers develop a new method of farming based on Dr. Steiner's teachings called Biodynamics.
- Based on Steiner's advice to "study rhythm," Dr. Hauschka observes the life and energy of the natural world and begins to see the presence and influence of rhythm in all living things. He exposes botanicals to the natural extremes of warmth and cold, light and darkness, and motion and stillness. He discovers that through rhythmical processing, he is able to create a water-based rose extract that remains stable for over 30 years.
- 1935 Dr. Hauschka and colleagues found the holistic pharmaceutical company WALA Heilmittel with the mission "to support the healing of humanity and the earth." WALA begins the manufacture of Anthroposophic and homeopathic medicines.
- "WALA" is an acronym for the process by which Dr. Hauschka developed his rhythmical processing method: Warmth, Ash, Light, Ash.
- Early 1960s Esthetician Elisabeth Sigmund (b.1914) recognizes the power of rhythm and traditional herbs in guiding skin back to a healthy, beautiful state. She is interested in the role the lymphatic system plays in skin health and overall well-being.
- 1962 Elisabeth Sigmund writes Rudolf Hauschka, sharing her ideas for plant-based preparations that would support skin health. Dr. Hauschka and Elisabeth Sigmund develop a correspondence.
- 1965 Dr. Hauschka invites Elisabeth Sigmund to join him at WALA to develop new holistic skin care preparations.
- 1967 Introduction of Dr. Hauschka Skin Care, a line of 100% natural skin care products.
- 1969 Elisabeth Sigmund introduces her unique treatment methods to the WALA community, developing the Dr. Hauschka Classic Treatment.
- 1972 Dr. Hauschka Skin Care arrives in the United States.
- 2008 Dr. Hauschka Holistic Home Remedies are introduced to the U.S. market.